The years between
the wars No.2.
Between 1920 and 1939 the
Lodge continued with little to report Br.
Maxwell presented a valuable painting showing a
troop train leaving Hawick Station.
The numbers on the roll in
1922 showed 582 members of which there were 7
Honorary members, 111 Life Members and 400 in
full standing (Between 1908 and 1922 an increase
A bust of Henry Scott
Riddell sculpted by Mr. Gamby RSA was presented
to the Lodge by PM Br. Tom Ferguson of Lodge St
In 1923 it was agreed to
hold the meetings on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays
but in 1925 this was changed to the 1st and 3rd
Mondays except during July and August.
The number on the roll
increased to 5%, including 7 Honorary Members,
124 Life Members, 410 being in full standing.
Br. Tom G. Winning
RWM was installed as Grand Secretary of the
Grand Lodge of Scotland. He was presented with a
gold watch from the Brethren of Lodge 111.
In May 1926 a notice of
motion was put forward "That Grand Lodge
be petitioned to revert to Hawick Lodge No.111",
under which it was first chartered on the 15th
granted on 5th August 1926.
The memorial to Henry
Scott Riddell was restored leaving the balance
of £50 to be invested under the joint names of
Lodge 111 and the Callants Club. In 1930 a
letter written by Henry Scott Riddell was
purchased for £1-11/-
In 1927 the first record
of a Burns supper appears in Lodge 111 minutes.
On Burns night 1930 it was decided "that
the brethren confine themselves to a pie".
An appeal was
received from the Callants Club requesting
assistance to erect a memorial to the late Br.
Thomas Ker, author of "I Like Auld Hawick the
Best", the History of the Lodge
1768-1891, and a
large number of poems and songs with reference
to the Lodge and to Hawick. The sum of £2-2/-
A mallet made from stone
taken from King Solomon's Mines with a handle
made from wood from the Forests of Lebanon was
donated to the Lodge.
In June, 1932, the
Ballantyne Bowling Trophy was won by Lodge 111
for the fifth successive year. In September
several brethren attended the consecration of
the new Lodge room for Kelso 58.
The PGM reported on
the handicap imposed on the Lodge by the
stringent times in 1932, only six candidates
being initiated in 12 months.
The swords and medals
belonging to the late Brother Major William
Beattie MC were gifted to the Lodge.
A request for the Lodge to
share in the cost of renovating the memorial
stone and tablet to Henry Scott Riddell at the
Cottage at Teviothead was received from the
In 1936 the Lodge
presented the regalia for the office of
Provincial Grand Master to PM Br. George Barry
on his appointment to that office, and he in
turn gifted the gong, which is used in the third
Captain Harvey visited the
Lodge and presented gavels and bannerettes
A bi-centenary medal from
Grand Lodge was presented to the RWM. The first
newsletter appeared in December 1938 and the
Lodge prepared for the oncoming war.
Second World War.
On the declaration of war
in 1939 it was decided that the annual
pilgrimage to the Cairn at Teviothead should not
take place and be discontinued for the duration
of the war. However, through the war years, a
small party of Brethren continued to place a
wreath on the grave. A grant of £5-5/- was made
to the "Teribus" Spitfire fund. The RWM Br.B.P.
Ellis announced he was leaving to join up.
In l942 a Mr Thompson was
balloted and initiated and D.J. Tunmore was
passed to the second degree, both in one night.
Over the war years a large
number of visitors were received from Stobs
camp. The offices of Piper and Almoner were
created on 1st May 1944.
The Lodge premises were
again apparently requisitioned by the Military
but it is unclear whether of not any soldiers
were billeted there. Meetings continued to be
held during the war years and the premises were
derequisitioned on the 18th October 1946.
It was announced that 80
members of the Lodge had gone to war and 72
returned, although a large number were wounded
and mentioned in the minutes of the Lodge. The
war memorial in the Lodge room (gifted
anonymously) was updated to include the names of
the Brethren viz: Brothers William Johnstone,
James Laidlaw, David McMinn, John Oliver,
Michael Oliver, Maxwell Patterson, George L.
Thom, and Richard Wakelin who died in the
conflict It was dedicated by the Provincial
Grand Chaplain Br. G.E. Cowe.
A combined church service
including members from Lodges 424 and 111 was
held in remembrance on 19th January 1947.
Post Second World
At a meeting in 1940 it
was stated it was "time something was done
about the hall roof". Again in January
1946 another discussion was held regarding the
roof, Scottish Speedwell Company was approached
and they laid a new roof at a cost of £125-9/4.
In January 1948, it was reported that the roof
required patching and the contractors promised
to repair it, but reneged. In 1950 a tender of
£248-9/2 was accepted from Messrs Glendinning
for a new hall roof.
A new zinc roof was
installed over the Lodge room in 1949 by Messrs
Robert Russell, Plumbers, at a cost of £258-1/7.
A Masters chair was presented to Innerleithen
Lodge 856 and in 1959 a clock purchased with
money bequeathed to the Lodge by the late PGM
The first post war Ball
was held in the Lodge premises attended by over
In 1948 there were two
nominations for the office of RWM, Brothers T.
Colledge and John Riddel, the latter being
elected by ballot, and T Colledge taking the
Substitute Masters office. In 1947 both brethren
stood for the office of RWM but John Riddel
withdrew leaving the position open to T.
Kilwinning 107 worked a third degree on 22nd
November 1950 in Lodge 111, the first occasion
that that Lodge had worked a degree outwith
their own Lodge and 111 worked a first degree in
Langholm Lodge, this being the first time that a
visiting Lodge had ever worked a degree in
The Lodge received a visit
from the Grand Master Mason, Bro. Sir Charles
Malcolm Barclay- Harvey of Kinord, on 14th
November 1951 who remarked on the simplicity of
the 111 Temple.
Following a sale of work
and various functions the ladies committee
handed over a cheque for £300.
A number of brethren
attended the consecration of the new premises at
Innerleithen on 13th October 1954. Br. Alex Sim
retired from the office of President of Stewards
in 1961 having held that office for 22 years. He
was presented with an inscribed wristwatch.
In September 1962 a notice
of motion to discontinue the May meetings was
defeated, but after three attempts it was
finally agreed to dispense with the May meetings
on 13th January 1965. After two attempts to have
the Secretary's desk moved to the floor of the
Lodge the notices of motion were defeated.
On 28th April 1965 a
notice of motion to change the meeting nights
from Wednesday to Thursday was approved. In
January of that year the first joint Burns
supper was held with 424, the first joint Ball
being held in March 1967 in the Victoria Hotel.
The date of Installation
was changed to the second Friday in December,
and Br.Wilhehn Andreas Martin (William Martin),
acting Inner Guard, took the floor for the first
time Willy Martin arrived in Britain in 1945 as
a German Prisoner of War, he progressed through
various Offices and became R.W.Master in 1972,
he received a Distinguished Service Diploma from
the Lodge in 1980 and was awarded Honorary Grand
Rank (Bible Bearer) in 1989
In1967 there were 259
life and test fee-paying members in good
March 1968 saw the 200th
Anniversary of the granting of the Lodge Charter
(the writer having the privilege and honour of
occupying the chair as RWM). The week of
celebrations included a church service,
mannequin parade, beetle drive, cheese and wine
party, and ladies night. A first degree was
worked by Provincial Grand Lodge office bearers
under the chairmanship of PGM Br James W. Smith.
On 16th March the Lodge
was rededicated by the Grand Master Mason Sir
Ronald Orr Ewing assisted by Grand Lodge office-
bearers, a dinner being held in the Tower Hotel
The Grand Master Mason Br.
Liddell Granger, who visited the Lodge in 1971
and had honorary membership conferred upon him.
He made reference to the beautiful interior of
Alterations to create a
new Lounge from the existing hall were made in
1973-74, a new bar and seating was installed
along with a suspended ceiling and was
completely re-decorated The main entrance door
and steps were closed up and re-sited at the
side of the building, a Ladies toilet was made
in the area previously occupied by the front
A large amount of money
necessary for the alterations was raised by a
very hard working Ladies committee. The
appreciation of the members of Hawick Lodge 111,
must be recorded, for all the work done by the
Ladies over the past years.
In 1975 Past Master Br.
Len P. Williams was presented with a tankard in
appreciation of his work as President of
Stewards. In 1980 Br. AVB Bouglas stood in as
Master Elect on the illness of Br Ian Herbert.
The new office of Assistant Treasurer was
In the early 80's the
Lodge suffered two severe disruptions that left
its aftermath for some time but happily it
appears these difficulties have now been
The work of the Lodge
continued up to 1993 when the 225th Anniversary
of the granting of the Lodge Charter was
celebrated with a second degree worked by the
RWM Br R. Drysdale of Lodge St James BURA 424
and his office bearers. A dinner followed in the
Lodge premises under the chairmanship of the RWM
of Lodge 111 Br. Michael Laidlaw. The principal
toast “The Hawick Lodge 111” was proposed
by Br. Dr. Ian Thompson P.D.G.M.
Hawick Lodge 111 has been
very fortunate in having a large number of hard
working, dedicated members, bar staff, tote
double ticket sellers, secretaries, treasurers,
office bearers etc., too numerous to mention by
name, without them the Lodge could not have
survived the past 225 years, our thanks are due
to each and everyone, with special mention to
Br. Rev. Geo. Watson on receiving his 50-year
diploma and Brs.Geo. Brown and J. Leithead
(Seegy) on receiving
their Distinguished Service Diploma's.