The years between the wars No.2.

Between 1920 and 1939 the Lodge continued with little to report Br. Maxwell presented a valuable painting showing a troop train leaving Hawick Station.

The numbers on the roll in 1922 showed 582 members of which there were 7 Honorary members, 111 Life Members and 400 in full standing (Between 1908 and 1922 an increase of 358).

A bust of Henry Scott Riddell sculpted by Mr. Gamby RSA was presented to the Lodge by PM Br. Tom Ferguson of Lodge St David's 36.

In 1923 it was agreed to hold the meetings on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays but in 1925 this was changed to the 1st and 3rd Mondays except during July and August.

The number on the roll increased to 5%, including 7 Honorary Members, 124 Life Members, 410 being in full standing.

Br. Tom G. Winning RWM was installed as Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. He was presented with a gold watch from the Brethren of Lodge 111.

In May 1926 a notice of motion was put forward "That Grand Lodge be petitioned to revert to Hawick Lodge No.111", under which it was first chartered on the 15th March 1768. Permission was granted on 5th August 1926.

The memorial to Henry Scott Riddell was restored leaving the balance of £50 to be invested under the joint names of Lodge 111 and the Callants Club. In 1930 a letter written by Henry Scott Riddell was purchased for £1-11/-

In 1927 the first record of a Burns supper appears in Lodge 111 minutes. On Burns night 1930 it was decided "that the brethren confine themselves to a pie".

An appeal was received from the Callants Club requesting assistance to erect a memorial to the late Br. Thomas Ker, author of "I Like Auld Hawick the Best", the History of the Lodge 1768-1891, and a large number of poems and songs with reference to the Lodge and to Hawick. The sum of £2-2/- was donated.

A mallet made from stone taken from King Solomon's Mines with a handle made from wood from  the Forests of Lebanon was donated to the Lodge.

In June, 1932, the Ballantyne Bowling Trophy was won by Lodge 111 for the fifth successive year. In September several brethren attended the consecration of the new Lodge room for Kelso 58.

The PGM reported on the handicap imposed on the Lodge by the stringent times in 1932, only six candidates being initiated in 12 months.

The swords and medals belonging to the late Brother Major William Beattie MC were gifted to the Lodge.

A request for the Lodge to share in the  cost of renovating the memorial stone and tablet to Henry Scott Riddell at the Cottage at Teviothead was received from the Callants Club.

In 1936 the Lodge presented the regalia for the office of Provincial Grand Master to PM Br. George Barry on his appointment to that office, and he in turn gifted the gong, which is used in the third degree.

Captain Harvey visited the Lodge and presented gavels and bannerettes

A bi-centenary medal from Grand Lodge was presented to the RWM. The first newsletter appeared in December 1938 and the Lodge prepared for the oncoming war.



Second World War.

On the declaration of war in 1939 it was decided that the annual pilgrimage to the Cairn at Teviothead should not take place and be discontinued for the duration of the war. However, through the war years, a small party of Brethren continued to place a wreath on the grave. A grant of £5-5/- was made to the "Teribus" Spitfire fund. The RWM Br.B.P. Ellis announced he was leaving to join up.

In l942 a Mr Thompson was balloted and initiated and D.J. Tunmore was passed to the second degree, both in one night.

Over the war years a large number of visitors were received from Stobs camp. The offices of Piper and Almoner were created on 1st May 1944.

The Lodge premises were again apparently requisitioned by the Military but it is unclear whether of not any soldiers were billeted there. Meetings continued to be held during the war years and the premises were derequisitioned on the 18th October 1946.

It was announced that 80 members of the Lodge had gone to war and 72 returned, although a large number were wounded and mentioned in the minutes of the Lodge. The war memorial in the Lodge room (gifted anonymously) was updated to include the names of the Brethren viz: Brothers William Johnstone, James Laidlaw, David McMinn, John Oliver, Michael Oliver, Maxwell Patterson, George L. Thom, and Richard Wakelin who died in the conflict It was dedicated by the Provincial Grand Chaplain Br. G.E. Cowe.

A combined church service including members from Lodges 424 and 111 was held in remembrance on 19th January 1947.



Post Second World War Years.

At a meeting in 1940 it was stated it was "time something was done about the hall roof". Again in January 1946 another discussion was held regarding the roof, Scottish Speedwell Company was approached and they laid a new roof at a cost of £125-9/4. In January 1948, it was reported that the roof required patching and the contractors promised to repair it, but reneged. In 1950 a tender of £248-9/2 was accepted from Messrs Glendinning for a new hall roof.

A new zinc roof was installed over the Lodge room in 1949 by Messrs Robert Russell, Plumbers, at a cost of £258-1/7. A Masters chair was presented to Innerleithen Lodge 856 and in 1959 a clock purchased with money bequeathed to the Lodge by the late PGM Br. Barry.

The first post war Ball was held in the Lodge premises attended by over 80 couples.

In 1948 there were two nominations for the office of RWM, Brothers T. Colledge and John Riddel, the latter being elected by ballot, and T Colledge taking the Substitute Masters office. In 1947 both brethren stood for the office of RWM but John Riddel withdrew leaving the position open to T. Colledge.

Langholm Eskdale Kilwinning 107 worked a third degree on 22nd November 1950 in Lodge 111, the first occasion that that Lodge had worked a degree outwith their own Lodge and 111 worked a first degree in Langholm Lodge, this being the first time that a visiting Lodge had ever worked a degree in Langholm.

The Lodge received a visit from the Grand Master Mason, Bro. Sir Charles Malcolm Barclay- Harvey of Kinord, on 14th November 1951 who remarked on the simplicity of the 111 Temple.

Following a sale of work and various functions the ladies committee handed over a cheque for £300.

A number of brethren attended the consecration of the new premises at Innerleithen on 13th October 1954. Br. Alex Sim retired from the office of President of Stewards in 1961 having held that office for 22 years. He was presented with an inscribed wristwatch.

In September 1962 a notice of motion to discontinue the May meetings was defeated, but after three attempts it was finally agreed to dispense with the May meetings on 13th January 1965. After two attempts to have the Secretary's desk moved to the floor of the Lodge the notices of motion were defeated.

On 28th April 1965 a notice of motion to change the meeting nights from Wednesday to Thursday was approved. In January of that year the first joint Burns supper was held with 424, the first joint Ball being held in March 1967 in the Victoria Hotel.

The date of Installation was changed to the second Friday in December, and Br.Wilhehn Andreas Martin (William Martin), acting Inner Guard, took the floor for the first time Willy Martin arrived in Britain in 1945 as a German Prisoner of War, he progressed through various Offices and became R.W.Master in 1972, he received a Distinguished Service Diploma from the Lodge in 1980 and was awarded Honorary Grand Rank (Bible Bearer) in 1989 .

In1967 there were 259 life and test fee-paying members in good standing.

March 1968 saw the 200th Anniversary of the granting of the Lodge Charter (the writer having the privilege and honour of occupying the chair as RWM). The week of celebrations included a church service, mannequin parade, beetle drive, cheese and wine party, and ladies night. A first degree was worked by Provincial Grand Lodge office bearers under the chairmanship of PGM Br James W. Smith.

On 16th March the Lodge was rededicated by the Grand Master Mason Sir Ronald Orr Ewing assisted by Grand Lodge office- bearers, a dinner being held in the Tower Hotel afterwards.

The Grand Master Mason Br. Liddell Granger, who visited the Lodge in 1971 and had honorary membership conferred upon him. He made reference to the beautiful interior of the Lodge.

Alterations to create a new Lounge from the existing hall were made in 1973-74, a new bar and seating was installed along with a suspended ceiling and was completely re-decorated The main entrance door and steps were closed up and re-sited at the side of the building, a Ladies toilet was made in the area previously occupied by the front entrance hall.

A large amount of money necessary for the alterations was raised by a very hard working Ladies committee. The appreciation of the members of Hawick Lodge 111, must be recorded, for all the work done by the Ladies over the past years.

In 1975 Past Master Br. Len P. Williams was presented with a tankard in appreciation of his work as President of Stewards. In 1980 Br. AVB Bouglas stood in as Master Elect on the illness of Br Ian Herbert. The new office of Assistant Treasurer was inaugurated.

In the early 80's the Lodge suffered two severe disruptions that left its aftermath for some time but happily it appears these difficulties have now been overcome.

The work of the Lodge continued up to 1993 when the 225th Anniversary of the granting of the Lodge Charter was celebrated with a second degree worked by the RWM Br R. Drysdale of Lodge St James BURA 424 and his office bearers. A dinner followed in the Lodge premises under the chairmanship of the RWM of Lodge 111 Br. Michael Laidlaw. The principal toast “The Hawick Lodge 111” was proposed by Br. Dr. Ian Thompson P.D.G.M.

Hawick Lodge 111 has been very fortunate in having a large number of hard working, dedicated members, bar staff, tote double ticket sellers, secretaries, treasurers, office bearers etc., too numerous to mention by name, without them the Lodge could not have survived the past 225 years, our thanks are due to each and everyone, with special mention to Br. Rev. Geo. Watson on receiving his 50-year diploma and Brs.Geo. Brown and J. Leithead (Seegy) on receiving their Distinguished Service Diploma's.

The End