In November 1892
Peebles Lodge No.24 was placed under the
jurisdiction of the Provincial Grand Lodge
of Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire. At a
Provincial Grand Lodge meeting the Junior
Warden of Peebles 24 moved that the Lodge be
again transferred to the Edinburgh district,
but the PGM moved that the motion was
The members of 424
joined together with 111 in a torchlight
procession accompanied by two bands they
proceeded by way of the Howegate, High
Street, Bridge Street, Wilton and Sandbed
where the members of 111 branched of to
Buccleuch Street and Beaconsfield to
On October 6th 1893 an
invitation was received from Lodge St James
BURA 424 to assist in the consecration of
the new Lodge rooms.
In 1894 the RWM
announced that a desirable property, the
E.U. Chapel (now a Doctor's surgery in
O'Connell Street) was for sale and suggested
that 111 buy it, Br. Swinton thought it a"
foolish idea to sell our own hall on account
the new railway was most likely to come
through this way and make our own property
At that time there
were 301 members on the roll with 170 in
good standing. An invitation was received
from Hawick Town Council to the opening of
Wilton Lodge Park and the Lodge received a
visit from Langholm, Eskdale Kilwinning 107,
and in October of that year an invitation
was received from 107 to the laying of the
foundation stone of the new Lodge room.
About 20 brethren from 111 attended. In
September of 1895 a number of brethren
attended the consecration of 107,
representatives from 13 different Lodges
took part in a procession through the
streets of Langholm, and afterwards attended
a bazaar in aid of Lodge funds.
A widow of a brother
with a family of three was granted £5 from
the Benevolent Fund.
A number of requests
were made to the Lodge from other Lodges, as
far away as Wick, for assistance for
building Lodge premises. A letter was
received from Dalkeith requesting
subscriptions to erect a Burns Memorial.
Visitors were received
from all over the world, America, Australia
etc, and a number of brethren were given all
their degrees in one night as they were
(Ballantyne) were initiated in November 1895
and the Treasurer reported the abstract of
accounts showed a balance of £596-4/- with
171 members in good standing. Chairs were
purchased for the RWM and Wardens.
In June 1802 Scotland
was divided into 16 districts for Masonic
purposes under that agreement, the Border
Lodges were placed under the jurisdiction of
the Provincial Grand Master of Peebles,
Selkirk, Roxburgh & Berwickshires.
The PGL consisted of
eleven Lodges, namely Duns 25,
Peebles 26, Cumberland Kilwinning Peebles
55, Kelso 69, St Abbs 84, Selkirk 35, Dunbar
89, Jedburgh 130, Hawick 141, St Luke Lauder
173, and Jedburgh St Andrew 243.
In 1829 there was a
rearrangement of the Province, Peebles and
Selkirk were given six of the then existing
Lodges, and Hawick were placed in the
Province of Berwick and Roxburghshire.
In 1836 the Province
of East Lothian was erected PGL of Peebles
and Selkirk were given jurisdiction of seven
Lodges, viz; Peebles Kilwinning 24, St John
Selkirk 32, St John Jedburgh 104, St John
Hawick 111, St John Stow 216, St John
Galashiels 262 and St James Hawick 424.
It was proposed to
form three Provinces into two, viz;
Haddington and Berwickshire, Roxburgh and
Selkirkshire, 58, 32, 104, 111, 424, 262,
216, Peebles being left out, it was
suggested it be placed in the Metropolitan
The Lodge at
the turn of the 19th Century.
Between May 1898 and
1913 a number of interesting items were
recorded in the minutes. A wedding present
was given to Br. Frank Scott junior. A
deputation from Galashiels visited the Lodge
and they left to catch the 10.06 train back
home. A celebration in honour of the
centenary of Henry Scott Riddell was held at
a cost of £12-11/8. A joint service with 424
and 111 attending was held and a deputation
was present at the laying of a foundation
stone at the Tweed Bridge, Peebles. A
procession was held to celebrate the
surrender of Pretoria. Br. Rogers RWM was
congratulated on his promotion to captain of
the Border Rifle Volunteers (his photograph
appears in the Lodge room in uniform).
Scottish Masonry went into mourning for
three months following the death of Queen
In January 1901, three
volumes of the History of Freemasonry by PM
Br. Davidson were acquired. Electricity was
introduced to the town and an estimate of
installation was given to the Lodge of £3
5-8/6. A banner was purchased and unfurled.
424 joined together with 111 to lay the
foundation stone of the new library. A
number of visitors were received into the
Lodge from as far away as Tasmania, America,
Chile, Valparaiso, and a number of brethren
left to emigrate to countries all over the
Eleven members of 111
visited Jedburgh in August 1903 for the
laying of the memorial stone of the new
Lodge room, consecrated on July 10th 1904.
More letters were
received requesting assistance to raise new
Lodges in Scotland. The number of members in
full standing was 195.
In August 1904 Br.
Oliver was passed the second degree, the
Lodge was then reduced to first degree when,
through a misunderstanding over the time a
brother who should have received the second
degree arrived late. The Lodge was reopened
in the second degree and another second
degree worked on the same evening.
A brother reported the
laying of a foundation stone at the new
North Bridge, Edinburgh, which according to
him was "a complete failure and
arrangements were a jumble from beginning to
In September 1898 a
memorial tablet was erected at Teviothead
Cottage in memory of Br.Henry Scott Riddell,
and in May 1905 a bust was unveiled.
A discussion was held
whether or not to hold a drink licence, PM.
Tumbull said, “It would place a
temptation in the way of younger members”.
Grand Lodge sent a
directive stating that Masters should not
receive the installed Masters degree until
having spent a year in office.
Two visitors were
refused admission for not wearing a dark
suit and white tie.
In April 1905 nine
initiations were reported in the past year,
compared to 34 in 1903.
In November 1907 a
St David's 36 was made together with
Brethren of 424,and a suggestion was made
that St David accompany 111 on their next
visit to the Cairn at Teviothead.
Pastmasters were presented to the Lodge in
1909, and an apron of the now defunct
Beaumont Yetholm was also presented
A man was proposed and
passed the ballot At his initiation, while
"Riding the Goat" and asked his age, he
wrote nineteen, and when asked if his father
was a Mason he replied "no". A
letter was written to PGL for advice. PGL
replied that "Under the circumstances
the man should be allowed to proceed through
the degrees". After this incident
the procedure for admitting persons to
Masonry was tightened up.
In March 1910 the
Secretary and Tyler reported that they had
found in an old cupboard, the Bible dated
1766, which had been used at the erection of
the Lodge in 1768, also the old seal of the
Lodge and other relics. (Where are they
now?) It was recommended that a bookcase be
purchased to exhibit them.
A new edition of the
1514 etching was presented to the Lodge.
A dinner was held in
the Masonic Hall, Myreslawgreen to celebrate
the resuscitation of the Lodge, attended by
170 brethren including members from Grand
Lodge. Brethren from 424 and 111 joined
together in a funeral service for King
Edward VII and marched in procession to St
John's Parish Church wearing white tie and
John McNairn was
passed to the second degree, thereafter the
Lodge was reduced and Thomas Chisholm
initiated on the same night A request from
Grand Lodge was received for £30 from each
daughter Lodge to complete Grand Lodge
premises and a deputation to lay the
memorial stone travelled to Edinburgh on
April 28th, 1911.
Dr Middleton retired
as PGM after 25 years continuous service, at
the installation of the new PGM the Grand
Master Mason was introduced to Br. William
Waddell, Tyler of Stow Lodge, who had been a
Mason for 54 years and over 40 years
continuously as Lodge Tyler.
It was announced that
some life members of the Lodge were living
abroad in Hawaii, Switzerland, Saskatchewan,
Ontario, Toronto, South Africa, Rhodesia,
Johannesburg, Bloemfontein, California,
Chicago, Kimberley, New Zealand, and Germany
etc. In December 1912 there were 183 members
in full standing. An invitation was received
to attend the consecration of Lodge
Ercildoune 1119 on January 20th,